Recording a video
You’ll need to have a device that can capture digital movies—this could be a camcorder, web cam, digital camera, cell phone, etc. Once you’ve recorded your message, save the movie file to your computer.
Make sure your video is smaller than 2GB in size, in an acceptable file format, and less than 3 minutes in length.
When recording, please keep the following in mind:
- Make sure we can hear you; capture audio as clearly as possible
- Do not include any music, photos or similar elements which are not your original creations
- Avoid the appearance of any brands, logos or trademarks
- Do not include any phone numbers, email or physical mailing addresses, or web addresses
Not sure what to say?
Maybe there’s a student in your life who is struggling to make it to graduation, and maybe there isn’t. Either way, students out there are listening, eager for an encouraging voice to let them know they can succeed, despite the obstacles in their way.
This is your opportunity to speak from the heart, lend a few words, and to make a real difference.
Some ideas to get you started:
- No matter what you say, be sure to tell students that there are many people out there who believe in them and care that they make it to graduation.
- Emphasize the importance of graduation. Talk about how graduating has made a difference in your life.
- Describe challenges you faced in high school and how you overcame them.
- Talk about the people in your life who encouraged you to succeed and gave you the boost you needed to make it through.
Still not sure what to say?
Use one of these example messages: They didn’t design high school to be easy. Classes are tough, and it’s hard to focus with so much else going on. Giving up is the easy choice, but sticking with it is the better choice. It might be hard to see it now, but graduating from high school is a decision you need to make. It’s an accomplishment you will not regret. Please know there are people like me in your hometown and across the country rooting for you.
I’m here to remind you that graduating matters. I know what it’s like to face challenges that make graduation seem like an impossible goal. But you’ve got to make high school a priority to give yourself a chance to achieve great things. Don’t give up. It will be worth the hard work when you get your diploma.
I would be lying if I said there weren’t times when I wanted to give up and quit. But making it through those moments have made the successes even more rewarding. No matter what you’re up against, don’t give up. Stay in school and give yourself a chance. And make sure to dream big. Anything is possible with hard work and dedication.
I’m not here to pretend that I understand everything you’re going through and all of the challenges that you’re facing. I’m simply here to let you know that there are lots of us who believe in your ability to graduate despite the obstacles you are up against. I know that at times graduating feels impossible, but I want to see you make it to graduation. I want you to experience the accomplishment and pride when you walk across that stage and get your diploma. Keep it up. You can do it.